Zwelitsha is situated just 7 km’s form King Williams Town. Follow R346 to Zwelitsha which is not more than a 15 minute drive. The town is located directly south of King William’s Town. This little town falls under the Buffalo City Metropolitan Municipality which is a Category A municipality situated on the east coast of the Eastern Cape Province.
The name is Xhosa and means ‘new world’, ‘new land’. It was the provisional capital (1981–94) of the republic of Ciskei. It was established in 1946 as a residential area for employees of the nearby Da Gama textile factory owned by the Good Hope Textile Corporation. Da Gama Textiles still produces the original Shweshwe at the Zwelitsha factory.
Da Gama Textiles is one of South Africa’s oldest and leading textile producers, covering a wide range of textile requirements for both the local and export
Most of the housing was built by the South African Bantu Trust.