Douglas falls under the Siyancuma Local Municipality which is a local municipality in the PixleykaSeme District Municipality in the Northern Cape of South Africa. The town originally developed around the London Mission Station Backhouse which was established in 1838. The town was renamed in 1867 after Sir Percy Douglas, Lieutenant-Governor of the Cape Colony. It is situated on the junction of the Orange and Vaal rivers. (GPS coordinates: 29.0751 S, 23.7447 E).
The seat of the municipality is Douglas. The municipality includes former Transitional Local Councils of Douglas, Griekwastad and Campbell.
Douglas is well known for a geographic feature found in Douglas only – The confluence of The Vaal and The Orange Rivers – the two biggest rivers of South Africa.
There are diamond as well as tigers eye deposits in the Douglas and Griekwastad areas respectively.
This town is an agricultural and stock farming town situated near the confluence of the Orange and Vaal Rivers in the Northern Cape province of South Africa. Notably the rural town has a diverse population, with mostly state institutions and the anchor private employer, GWK, an agricultural company.
Key Statistics 2011
Total population 20,083
Young (0-14) 31,8%
Working Age (15-64) 62,7%
Elderly (65+) 5,5%
Dependency ratio 59,4
Sex ratio 98,3
Population density 232 persons/km2
No schooling aged 20+ 14,4%
Higher education aged 20+ 5,4%
Matric aged 20+ 20,5%
Number of households 4,707
Average household size 4,2
Female headed households 41,7%
Formal dwellings 67,2%
Housing owned/paying off 52,4%
Flush toilet connected to sewerage 69,4%
Weekly refuse removal 89,7%
Piped water inside dwelling 51,6%
Electricity for lighting 90%
Return to Northern Cape Towns/Cities
Siyancuma Local Municipality
Physical Address: Civic Centre, C/o Charl Cilliers & Southy Streets, Douglas, 8730
Postal Address: P.O.Box 27, Douglas, 8730
Telephone No: 053 298 1810