Windvogelberg, named after a San chief, is renamed Cathcart in honour of Sir George Cathcart, Governor of the Cape Colony.
Cathcart is located to the east of the Windvogelberg, 146 km north-west of East London. Developed after 1856 from a military camp established in 1850. It became a municipality in 1881. Centre of a wool-producing area.
Key Statistics 2011
|Working Age (15-64)||60,6%|
|Population density||48 persons/km2|
|No schooling aged 20+||6,5%|
|Higher education aged 20+||15,1%|
|Matric aged 20+||26,4%|
|Number of households||652|
|Average household size||2,9|
|Female headed households||49,9%|
|Housing owned/paying off||27,6%|
|Flush toilet connected to sewerage||61,2%|
|Weekly refuse removal||78,1%|
|Piped water inside dwelling||56,7%|
|Electricity for lighting||80,7%|
Return to Eastern Cape Towns/Cities.