Phuthaditjhaba is a town that lies in a glen where the Elands River forces its way through the sandstone foothills of the Maluti Mountains after flowing from the summit of Mont-aux-Sources in the Drakensberg Mountain Range. Located 65 km’s from Clarens (r57 – R712). The name (Qua Qua) Qwa-Qwa was bestowed on this area by the ancient San because in their language it meant “whiter than white”, referring to the surrounding snow-capped mountains that lend a special charm to the area during the cold winter months. The Afrikaans-speaking community renamed the town Witsieshoek, after Wetse, chief of the BaTlokwa section of the Basotho people, who settled here after the Zulu raids on smaller tribes had ended. In 1969 the area was granted self-government as Qwa-Qwa, the homeland of the baSotho ba Borwa (“Sotho people of the south”).
Phuthaditjhaba information office: 058 7130013/3
Basotho Cultural Village. A visit to the Basotho Cultural Village which nestles at the foot of huge sandstone mountains, will give you insight into the culture and traditions of the Basotho people. On arrival, a friendly receptionist will show you an introductory video which illustrates the building process of the museum. Demonstrations of the decoration of huts, making of basketware, crushing of maize and traditional dances are shown.
Maluti Cave Hiking Trail
The The Maluti Cave trail lies adjacent to the town of Phuthaditjhaba (Witsieshoek) from where it stretches into the foothills of the Drakensberg mountains.
There are a few options open for hikers: from a basic 2-day trail to four days of hiking in the majestic Drakensberg.
One of the sections of the trail goes right up to the escarpment to view the Phororo waterfall on the Lesotho side of the border. Hikers that attempt this trail section must be accompanied by a guide and should be fit and prepared for sudden weather changes
Sentinel Hiking Trail This trail is situated in Qwaqwa and starts at the Sentinel car park, beyond the Mountain Resort. The trail runs past the Sentinel to the top of the Drakensberg escarpment. It can either be used for a day walk or as the start of an escarpment backpacking trip. The trail offers some of the most dramatic mountain scenery in the country. Prior reservations are necessary, both for a day walk and longer visits. The numbers of visitors are also limited.
During Zulu disturbances around 1840, a section of the Makgolokwe tribe under Chief Wetsi fled here. The area was then named by early Europeans after this chief: Witsieshoek (i.e. Wetsi’s Glen).
In 1856 Chief Wetsi, joined by the Zulu warriors of King Mpande, the Bapedi of Sekhukhune and others, fought against the invading European Voortrekkers, who were joined by the Bakwena of Mopeli. Chief Wetsi’s Cave is near the western border of the Royal Natal National Park
Batlokoa Monument The Afrikaans-speaking community renamed the town Witsieshoek, after Wetse, chief of the BaTlokwa section of the Basotho people, who settled here after the Zulu raids on smaller tribes had ended. In 1969 the area was granted self-government as Qwa-Qwa, the homeland of the baSotho ba Borwa (“Sotho people of the south)
Prophet Walter Matita Memorial
It is common cause that the Rev Walter Matita (referred to as the prophet) was the founder of a religious movement that came to be known as the Mosheeshee Berea Bible Readers Church. The prophet was born of ordinary stock in the year 1885. His parents had been allocated a site in the village of Ha Motsoene, bothania area, in Berea district on which they built a house. On reaching manhood the prophet preached a special brand of the gospel travelling far and wide, in central and northern Lesotho and the eastern part of the Orange Free State including the land known as Qua Qua.
The prophet was married and had two daughters Marita and Maria. He had no sons. His memorial is situated near UFS, Qwaqwa campus
Metsi-Matsho Dam and
Fika Patso Dam
80% of MAP Local Municipality’s potable water is supplied by Fika Patso Dam while the remaining 20% is supplied by Metsimatsho Dam.
The Sentinel Peak The famous Sentinel and Ampitheatre, the Devil’s Tooth and the Three Witches contribute to the rugged splendour of the Drakensberg. The majestic Maluti Mountains, with it’s multi coloured sandstone cliffs and the cave dwellings with it’s Bushman paintings, are endlessly fascinating.
Qwaqwa is the birthplace of the Premier Soccer League side club Free State Stars. Although the club has since relocated to Bethlehem, but it still plays its bigger games at the much larger Charles Mopeli Stadium.
Phuthaditjhaba is The town has two other professional soccer teams, namely Maluti FET Collage FC and African Wariorrs FC who both use the Charles Mopeli Stadium as their homeground.