Thabo Mofutsanyana District Municipality is a Category C municipality located in the eastern Free State province and borders on Lesotho and KwaZulu-Natal. It is named after Edwin Thabo Mofutsanyana, a stalwart of the communist party.
It comprises of six local municipalities:
- Setsoto Local Municipality
- Dihlabeng Local Municipality
- Nketoana Local Municipality
- Maluti-a-Phofung Local Municipality
- Phumelela Local Municipality
- Mantsopa Local Municipality
The N3 and N5 National Roads pass through the district and the famous Golden Gate is found in the area on the slopes of the Drakensberg Mountains. Despite all the socio-economic challenges facing this district, the area has huge potential for tourism development because of its scenic beauty and its rich cultural heritage.
Thabo Mofutsanyana District Municipality Contact Details
|Mail:||Private Bag X810, WITSIESHOEK, 9870|
|Street:||Old Parliament Building, 1 Mampoi Street, PHUTHADITJHABA|
|Tel:||(058) 713 4485 / 718 1000|
Thabo Mofutsanyane District Tourism
- Golden Gate National Highlands Park near Bethlehem
- Basotho Cultural Village at QwaQwa
- Seekoeivlei Nature Reserve near Memel constitutes a wetland with RAMSAR status is a bird-watching mecca
- Wolhuterskop Nature Reserve in Bethlehem
- Sterkfontein Dam
- Titanic Rock at the northern entrance of Clarens
- Bushman rock art at 27 farms near Fouriesburg
- Korannaberg Hiking Trail at Excelsior
- Mountain bike trails at Marquard
- Claerhout Art Gallery at Tweespruit
- Cherry Festival annually in November at Ficksburg
Every bit as majestic as the eagles that glide over the Northern Drakensberg peaks, the Eagle Route is a little piece of heaven for tourists. Whether you’re in the mood for a quiet retreat in the countryside or an invigorating taste of local life and culture, you’ll find the Eagle Route in the Thabo Mofutsanyane district a true feast for the senses. Spanning the Free State’s southern border with Lesotho, the route runs from Ficksburg to Harrismith through some of the most picturesque landscape in the country – including the famous ‘Cherry Region’. Along the way, it takes in majestic mountain views, interesting historical monuments, pristine nature reserves and fascinating towns. Whether you’re an outdoor enthusiast or a culture vulture, there’s plenty to see and do: from dinosaur fossils, rock paintings and arts & crafts to ski slopes, horse trails, hot air ballooning and 4X4 trips.
The towns to explore on the Eagle route are:
The N3 and N5 National Roads pass through the district, and the famous Golden Gate is found in the area on the slopes of the Drakensberg Mountains. Despite all the socio-economic challenges facing this district, the area has huge potential for tourism development because of its scenic beauty and its rich cultural heritage.
Cities/Towns: Arlington, Bethlehem, Clarens, Clocolan, Excelsior, Ficksburg, Fouriesburg, Golden Gate Highlands National Park, Harrismith, Hobhouse, Kestell, Ladybrand, Lindley, Marquard, Memel, Paul Roux, Petrus Steyn, Phuthaditjhaba, Reitz, Rosendal, Senekal, Thaba Patchoa, Tweespruit, Vrede, Warden
Main Economic Sectors: Agriculture and tourism.