The town of Concordia is situated 22 km north-east of Springbok and has a rich copper mining history. Concordia is a town in Namakwa District Municipality in the Northern Cape province. During the Anglo-Boer War the Boers used Concordia as their headquarters while Okiep was under siege. Some old Cornish style houses still remain as well as the original granery, used as a hospital by the boer commandos. of South Africa. During the mid-1800s copper mining commenced in the area and lasted up to the early 1930s. The Namaqua Copper Company that mined in Concordia later became the Okiep Copper Company (OCC), known among the local miners as “Jan Komponie”.
During the Anglo-Boer War the Boers used Concordia as their headquarters while Okiep was under siege. Some old Cornish style houses still remain as well as the original granery, used as a hospital by the boer commandos.
In 1852 Reverend Brecher established the Rhenish missionary church opposite the Klipkerk in town. The Rhenish missionaries came to the area to do missionary work under the local inhabitants of the region and helped reserve land for local Nama farmers. Nama communities have been recorded as the oldest inhabitants of the Concordia area, and made a living from livestock farming. Some of the Namas fled from the Pella missionary station (where they were threatened by the uprising of the “Jager Afrikaner” faction from Warmbad, Namibia) and subsequently settled in Concordia. The United Reformed Church (Verenigde Gereformeerde Kerk), which is based in the Klipkerk opposite the Rhenish Church, was built in 1875 by Cornishmen who worked at the copper mine in Concordia. The Cornish architectural style is highly visible in this church building, as well as in other structures in town such as the hospital and various bridges. The first school in Concordia was established in 1863. Although the population density in the area was of a reasonable number, the school had only 15 students (out of a possible 100) by 1868.
In 1871, the Reverend Donges came to Concordia. A strategist in his own right, Donges made a significant impact on town–planning at the time: he determined where houses should be built and where agricultural land should be laid out, even arranging for school holidays to fall within the sowing and harvesting seasons. Reverend Donges was, furthermore, a strict disciplinarian who went to thatch students personally at their homes. The total number of enrolled students subsequently rose to 240 by 1873. In 1934 the school became the property of the Dutch Reformed Church. Today, Concordia is a small town with a municipality, a post office, primary and secondary schools, spaza shops and small grocery shops, a guest house, a conference centre, a swimming pool and other sports facilities. Concordia is a favourite flower-watching spot among tourists. For more tourist-related information, contact the Concordia tourism forum or the regional tourism office in Springbok.
Cities/Towns close to Concordis are Bulletrap, Carolusberg, Kleinzee, Komaggas, Nababeep, O’Kiep, Springbok, Steinkopf. They form part of the The Nama Khoi Local Municipality which is a Category B municipality situated on the north-western side of the Northern Cape Province in the Namakwa District. Nama Khoi Local Municipality is part of Namakwa District Municipality. It is one of the six municipalities that make up the district. Nama and Khoisan people occupied this area for hundreds of years.
The town of Springbok is the administrative centre. Springbok is the most densely populated area, is close to the N1, and functions as the sub-regional centre for administrative, commercial and higher-order social facilities. Mining used to form the backbone of the economy, with tourism being seen as the new frontier for economic development.